WestMed College

Get Started


Areas of Study

Financial Aid FAQs

If you can't find the financial aid information you need within our website or this list of common questions, check out the College’s policies related to financial aid in the WestMed College General Catalog, or contact us. Our financial aid representatives are happy to help you. Please call or e-mail us.

Common Questions
Q: Which programs are financial aid eligible?

A: Currently, WestMed College offers federal financial aid only at the San Jose and Merced campuses. The programs currently approved include:

  • Vocational Nursing
  • Paramedic
  • Medical Assisting

Q: How do I determine my dependency status for financial aid eligibility?
A: An important step in establishing financial aid eligibility is determining whether a student can apply as a self-supporting student (Independent Student). Students that meet one of these conditions will be considered Independent:

  • Students who were born before January 1, 1985.
  • Students who are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. (This does not include Active Duty students.)
  • Students who are orphaned or who were wards of the court until they reached age 18.
  • Students who have legal dependents other than a spouse.
  • Students who are a graduate or professional student. (This does not include students enrolled in a Credential program.)
  • Students who are married.
  • Students who are active duty military.

Students who do not qualify as independent students must provide parental information on the FAFSA application or they will be disqualified. Students with special circumstances should contact the Financial Aid Office.

Q: Do I still qualify for financial aid if I don't do well in school?
A: Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress in their selected course of study to receive federal aid. One aspect of academic progress is the student's overall grade point average. Students must maintain a grade point average of 2.0 for all course work to meet the requirements for graduation. Students who fall below these required minimums will be placed on academic probation. Students may continue to receive financial aid during this probationary period, assuming all other satisfactory requirements are met. Students who do not meet the academic requirements and are disqualified from attendance will not receive financial aid from the period of time they are withdrawn.

Additional academic requirements are differentiated in the current WestMed College Catalog. Financial aid recipients are subject to all WestMed College academic policies. A student's enrollment status is determined based upon their course schedule. This enrollment period is determined according to the number of months the student is attending, providing the student is not considered withdrawn.

Students who receive an "F" grade will not receive financial aid for those courses. If financial aid was paid for a course before the grade was posted, the student must, at his or her own expense, pay to retake the course or its equivalent. Financial aid will not be awarded for a repeated course or its equivalent.

Satisfactory progress is also defined as a reasonable length of time for students to complete their educational objectives. Since students enrolled at WestMed College pursue different degree programs, the number of units needed to complete each degree will vary.

Q: What is an academic year?
A: The year consists of a period that includes 26 weeks of instruction and at least 900 clock hours of instruction. Generally, students are funded for two payment periods. The first payment period is comprised of at least half of the course work in the academic year as measured in clock hours and weeks of instruction. The second payment period comprises the remaining course work in the academic year.

Generally, an academic year consists of eight months of coursework. Students must successfully complete their first payment period before student loan funds will be released for the second period. Because students apply for and are awarded aid during different times of the year, each student's academic year may be different.

Q: Are transfer students eligible for financial aid?
A: Transfer students may be eligible for Federal Grants, and Federal loans dependent upon previous aid received in the current academic year from another institution. All eligible aid has annual limits used in determining a student’s financial aid award per academic year.

Q: What happens if I withdraw during a school year in which I have already received financial aid?
A: If a student is considered withdrawn from the College, federal regulations require a calculation be performed according to a specific formula that identifies the total scheduled financial assistance the student earned, and is therefore entitled to receive. If a student is considered withdrawn from the College before completing 60% of a payment period, the student may have to repay unearned Federal monies that were already disbursed at the beginning of the payment period. For additional information regarding this policy, please refer to the University catalog.

The College will process a deferment for a period of one term (a six-month period); however, the deferment period ends if/while the student is withdrawn. Also, if a student changes their schedule and is considered withdrawn after a deferment is processed, the lender will be notified and repayment on the loan will be initiated.

Students who receive a grade of "incomplete" have the remainder of the payment period to remove the "incomplete" with a passing grade. However, if this is the last course of the payment or loan period, no future aid will be disbursed until the "incomplete" grade has been removed or a replacement course is completed with a passing grade. In addition, students who receive two incomplete grades in the same payment period may not be eligible for future aid.

Q: Are there any other funding requirements I need to know about?
A: Students receiving financial aid at the College will be awarded based on an academic year of 26 weeks of instruction and a minimum of 900 clock hours.

Q: Can I appeal financial aid decisions about my eligibility?
A: Students who are denied aid due to lack of satisfactory academic progress may submit a Request for Review (appeal) to the Director of Financial Aid if extenuating circumstances exist. The appeal will be reviewed and a decision made based on the student's previous academic record and the nature of the reasons given. The Director attempts to approve or deny petitions in a fair and equitable manner, taking into consideration each student's situation, while complying with federal regulations.

WestMed College is an affiliate of the National University System.